[cvsnt] Force LF only?

JP Vossen jp at jpsdomain.org
Tue Sep 26 01:05:16 BST 2006

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> JP Vossen wrote:
>
>> [2] Someone in the "--lf obsolete?" thread suggested SVN can't do this.
>>  It can, and it's sticky.  See 'svn propset' and "svn:eol-style  - One
>> of 'native', 'LF', 'CR', 'CRLF'."  This can be set down to per-file
>> granularity if you like, and there are also related config files settings.
>
> That's exactly what -k+L, etc. do and the way it should be done -
> specifying files which for whatever reason must be in a specific line
> ending on all platforms.
>
> Making -k+L client side only so it works against legacy servers is a
> possibility for 2.6 but it'll just have to go on the (ever increasing at
> the moment) list - no changes to 2.5 are going to happen now.

Just be be sure I understand then, I *should* be using -k+L but can't
(yet at least) because my back-end is legacy/native CVS, correct?  Any
ETA for a fix and/or 2.6? <ducks>

> It really looks like you should be running cygwin in your case - you're
> writing unix files not windows ones (be careful not to use windows
> editors on the files).

Yeah, Cygwin'd work for *me* but gets a lot more complicated for the
Windows/GUI folks who still need to have some stuff in CVS.

The funny thing is, while I think it's a great tool, Cygwin is such a
mongrel--being neither really Unix nor really Windows--that it throws me
off.  Neither set of reflexes quite work...  I'd much rather ditch the
Windows stuff, but for various corporate reasons, that's not going to
happen.

I'll think on it some more.

> Running windows across samba is a bit of a
> corner case - we don't even support checking out to samba shares oficially.

Who, me?  An edge case?  Yeah, story of my life...  :-)

FYI I haven't ever used cvsnt *not* on a Samba share, and it works
great.  I don't trust Windows--everything important that I can easily
move is on H: on my Linux server, with RAID.

Thanks for the quick reply,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.