[cvsnt] cvsnt 2.5 vs eclipse 3.2 : slow and/or incomplete repository browsing behavior
jeanfrancois_lamy at videotron.ca
Fri Sep 29 20:16:20 BST 2006
Problem: we cannot correctly browse the repository structure in the CVS
Repository view of Eclipse 3.2. We get extreme delays or incomplete
- this used to work a couple weeks ago.
- We have moved our repository to a new partition (to avoid using a
compressed drive, see elsewhere in this forum for that saga)
- We are running 2.5.03.2382, and also tried 2.5.02.2115 with same results.
- When clicking on the "Branches" item in the Eclipse CVS Repository
explorer view to expand a level, there is an *extremely* long delay in
getting the list of our 10 top-level modules (several minutes). I'm
talking about the directories on disk, not the modules file. The progress
indicator gets stuck at "Fetching chidren: 37%" for a long, long time.
- We get the same very long delays when expanding any node in the physical
- There is no such problem when dealing with modules that come from the
modules file (as opposed to directories on disk).
- TortoiseCVS does not have the problem -- fetching of the top-level modules
is instantaneous (using the same CVSRoot and the same plink binary)
When we point Eclipse at our old repository (which was left untouched), we
get a somewhat different problem:
- Only 3 of our 10 top-level module directories appear, and all the virtual
modules from the modules files appear. There is no inordinate delay.
- This is our old repository which used to work fine (albeit on a compressed
drive) until MS broke everything.
Things we've checked:
- no antivirus on either partition (or indexing or other cycle-gobbling
- NTFS permissions are the same on both structures (xcopy /o /x /e /h /k
was used to copy).
- User impersonation is used, and the user has full Administrative rights.
- CVSNT server is running under Windows 2000 SP4 fully patched and with the
file compression hotfix applied.
- I enabled the log on the server side to see what was going on. Even
though I've looked at my share of logs in the last 30 years, this one has me
stumped. I can't find the commands issued by the clients, or any type of
error reporting. I must be getting old.
- Eclipse does not log these exchanges on the CVS console, perhaps there is
a way to get the output somewhere. There is a "send debugging to stdout"
option in Eclipse, but we haven't been able to find the output for
repository browsing anywhere. Not sure how I would get Eclipse to do the
Teximus Technologies, Montreal, Canada
More information about the cvsnt mailing list
Download the latest CVSNT, TortosieCVS, WinCVS etc. for Windows 8 etc.
@CVSNT on Twitter CVSNT on Facebook