[cvsnt] BUG: different command prompts seem to have "cross-talk"

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Fri Sep 29 23:11:32 BST 2006

Jim Hyslop wrote:
> In one command prompt, I issued the command 'cvs unedit -u(username)
> -R'. While that was running, I opened another command prompt and, from
> the same directory, issued the command 'cvs -nq up'. The output from the
> two command prompts seems to have some "cross talk" (to borrow an
> electronics term).

Yeah you really can't do two operations on the same sandbox at the same
time... no locking...

edit is particularly bad as it uses temp files (CVS/Notify) to store its
data, so anything that sees that thinks there's an aborted edit
operation and tries to complete it, resulting in a mess.  Rewriting edit
to remove that file is one of those things I've got on my priority list.

Client side locking isn't something I've really thought about as cvs has
never had it and nobody has complained until today :)  Definately
something to think about in the 2.6 timeframe (need to start writing
these down somwhere as there are lot of them).