[cvsnt] problem connecting to CVSNT via remote client and SSPI.

David Garcia adgarcia13 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 14:20:50 BST 2007

I have a fresh installation of open source CVSNT V2.5.03 (Build 2382) on a WINXPSP2 system that I am planning on using as a CVSNT server. I managed to successfully create the repository, and then cvs import and create a project which contains one text document in it. Using the cvs command line on the local system I can successfully list (Ala the cvs ls -l -R command) the modules on this server including the document stored in the project I created. I am also using the SSPI protocol in this environment. THE PROBLEM: from a remote client when I try to connect to the server the error I keep getting on the remote client is: cvs [checkout aborted]: error reading from server MYSERVER-NAME: -1: Unknown Error CVS operation failed cvs [ls aborted]: error reading from server MYSERVER-NAME: -1: Unknown Error CVS operation failed. THE SETUP: 1. The CVSNT server is installed on a system that is running AV software, the WindowsXP firewall is disabled. I tried to correct this problem by
 disabling the AV software but still had the same problem described above. I read on at least a couple of forums that disabling AV software will not work, you have to de-install it? Is that true? If this is the problem and there is a workaround so I can use AV software please let me know what that is. 2. These two WINXPSP2 systems are not setup on a specific domain but are both attached to a workgroup as MYSERVER-NAME\garciad and MYCLIENT-NAME\garciad respectively. I have been able to ping both machines from each other successfully and have been able to create and map shared Windows explorer folders in both directions with no problems, so these systems can see and access each other from Windows. 3. As part of the CVSNT install and post-config I did the following as suggested in the installation guide I used: Gave c:\cvsrepos\cvstemp and c:\cvsrepos\migrations security settings that allows full control for everyone including SYSTEM. Defined a system environment variable
 CVSROOT as ":sspi:MYSERVER-NAME:/migrations" I did nothing to add or define anything for CVS users nor did I set any CVS or Windows passwords since I am using SSPI. The password for garciad on both systems is the same. OBSERVATIONS: In the Windows event log on the CVSNT server system the following entries were generated when I attempted to come in via the remote client: Event Source: Security Event Category: Logon/Logoff Event ID: 529 Date:  4/17/2007 Time:  2:44:08 PM User:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: MYSERVER-NAMELogon Failure: Reason:  Unknown user name or bad password User Name: garciad Domain:  MYCLIENT-NAME Logon Type: 3 Logon Process: NtLmSsp Authentication Package: Setuid Workstation Name: MYCLIENT-NAME Event Type: Failure Audit Event Source: Security Event Category: Account Logon Event ID: 680 Date: 4/17/2007 Time:  2:44:08 PM User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: MYSERVER-NAME Logon attempt by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0 Logon account:  garciad Source
 Workstation: MYCLIENT-NAME Error Code: 0xC000006A CONCLUSIONS: I need to know if I can connect given I have to run AV software on the CVSNT server or this a configuration problem on my part?