[cvsnt] Poor performance on Windows 2003 server

Mark Donnelly mdonnelly at patientkeeper.com
Wed Apr 18 17:39:41 BST 2007

Tony:

Thank you for replying as well.

> One of the biggies for speed is antivirus - if you're running
> realtime scanning it'll more than halve your checkout speed easily -
> that should be switched off or at least excluded from the
> repository/temp directories.  Same goes for the client sandboxes.

I have excluded the repository and CVS temp directories from virus
scanning, even though I neglected to mention that in my original
message.  The client checkout areas were also excluded (and were the
same area for both the CVSNT and CVS checkout timings, so that wouldn't
have affected the relative timings anyway).

> There are other things like checking out to shared sandboxes,
> having slow connections to the domain controller, shortage of memory.

I'm not checking out to a shared sandbox; are you suggesting that would
be faster or slower?

The connection to the domain controller is very fast, and they share a
switch.  The CVSNT server currently has 4GB of RAM, and is exclusively
serving CVSNT.

> cvsnt is slower but as you say it does a lot more.. it's not two and
> a half times slower though.

What sort of difference would you expect, if you were to run CVSNT and
CVS side-by-side on the same hardware?

Thanks!
--Mark Donnelly