[cvsnt] reposting question about ignore defaults

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Wed Aug 8 15:08:05 BST 2007

Bo Berglund wrote:

> What is the purpose of a command:
> cvs status filenotinrepo????
>
> What should it report?
> "File: filenotinrepo
> File does not exist in the repository"

Exactly this. I don't know about you, but I'm not usually working in the
repository, I work in a sandbox. Which may contain any mix of files that
are and files that are not in the repository. Knowing that a file is not in
the repository can be interesting, for a number of reasons. That's why GUI
tools like WinCvs or TortoiseCVS have the ignored and unknown (or similar)
categories.

Gerhard