[cvsnt] CVSNT to SVN

Chuck Kirschman Chuck.Kirschman at Nosp_am.bentley.com
Fri Aug 17 13:23:55 BST 2007

This is probably the wrong group for this question as posed; you may do
better on the SVN groups.  CVS2SVN is the popular tool.
(http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/)

But I'm guessing that you're asking here because you found that CVS2SVN
is designed for straight cvs, not cvsNT.  It will work with cvsNT with
some caveats.  When I tried it (it's been a few months), I found that it
didn't handle the newer cvsNT features well.  So if you've done renames
for example, you're going to run into some issues.  I also saw problems
if a file is both binary and ascii (kb and kkv) in different revisions.
  For the former, we ended up not using rename due to some bugs when we
tried it, so we only had a couple of those to deal with and we just
manually handled them.  For the latter, these almost always occur when
someone wanted the file to be binary but forgot -kb on the add.  For
these we just put the old "format: binary" tag into the ,v file, and it
usually worked okay.  You may end up with other issues depending on
which features you have used in your process.  Or maybe you'll be lucky
and someone has fixed up CVS2SVN to handle cvsNT.

We didn't end up using SVN; the cost of the transition outweighed the
benefits.  However, you may want to look at the distributed systems like
Mercurial (or bitkeeper, darcs, git, bazaar); these systems have a lot
of promise.  Again you'll need to do a little work to make the converter
handle cvsNT.  Which revision control system you should use depends on
your needs and work flow.  If you're considering changing systems, you
probably should look at a couple different types to see which will best
suit your company.

HTH
chuck