[cvsnt] Merge points when merging back

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Mon Aug 20 14:08:20 BST 2007

Hello,

I know this has been discussed before, but I still have a question about
merge points.

I think I'm using them in the "normal" way. For example, I branched a file
at revision 1.29 from HEAD to bMyBranch. I committed a few revisions on the
branch, reaching 1.29.2.4. I also committed a revision 1.30 on HEAD. To
keep the branch in sync with HEAD, I ran a merge from HEAD to bMyBranch.
This brings up the merge arrows in the various GUIs (from the merge point
info). After the last merge from HEAD to bMyBranch, I have now an arrow
from 1.34 (HEAD) to 1.29.2.9 (bMyBranch).

As I'm done on the branch, I copy the contents of bMyBranch to HEAD and
commit them there. What I would like to see in the revision graph is a
final merge arrow from the tip of the branch (1.29.2.9 for this file) to
the corresponding HEAD revision (1.35 for this file); so to speak as a
documentation of this "merge". ("Merge" here in quotes because it's not
technically a merge, but functionally.)

Is there a command sequence that I can use that gives me this? As discussed
previously, I can't really use the cvsnt merge command to merge back from
the branch to HEAD.

Well, come to think of it, I probably could use the merge command to merge
back from bMyBranch to HEAD, discard the merge results and replace the
files on HEAD (after the merge but before the associated commit) with the
files of the branch. I guess that would be one way to do it -- but is there
a more straightforward way?

Thanks,
Gerhard