[cvsnt] CVSNT Auditing Failure on init

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu Aug 23 22:27:24 BST 2007

Marc,

Please keep newsgroup discussions on the newsgroup.

> Ok. I turned off auditing, and created the repository
> again. Then I re-enabled auditing. Now I get the same
> error message while checking CVSROOT out from the server.

OK - so you have not done what I told you to do:

> You need to set the password for the auditing account using
> old_password() check the MySQL site for details - the CVSNT
> server uses a built in MySQL 3.23 client (it was the last one
> that mySQL allowed to be distributed without charge, ie: LGPL).

> Seems to me there are two issues:
> 1) CVSNT cannot support MySQL greater than
> 3.23, this needs to be documented.
> 2) CVSNT is hard-coded to expect MySQL to
> be installed at C:\mysql. This is a bug.

Neither of these is true.  On my laptop I am running MySQL 4.?? And it
is installed on d: - we don't document things that are not true.

This is an open source project - meaning you have the right to
contribute to the project - if you feel more documentation is needed -
please write it and submit it to the project.

> I don't know much about the architecture
> of the Auditing plug-in, but wouldn't it
> be better to use an ODBC connection rather
> than relaying on an outdated MySQL client?

We you can try the "SQL Server/ODBC" connector instead - I've not tried
it since the MySQL one works fine.

This is an open source project - meaning you have the right to
contribute to the project - if you feel a new connector is needed - feel
free to write it and submit it to the project.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett