[cvsnt] Combining a tag which contains all files with a tag which only contains a subset

Harding, Jonathan jonathan.harding at wachovia.com
Wed Aug 29 21:02:08 BST 2007

I am attempting to document the procedure for preparing a CVS sandbox
which can be used to produce a build for a patch release.

Example:  I have a repository with 3 files.

File1.txt

File2.txt

File3.txt

I have applied a tag to all of these files names rel_c1234567

After the release went into production, a bug was found which required a
modification to file2.txt.  The developer modified file2.txt and tagged
with with the name patch_change.

How can I combine the production tag with this new tag which only
contains this one modified file?

This will extract my current production files:

cvs co -r rel_c1234567 1dev

cvsnt server: Updating 1dev

U 1dev/add.txt

U 1dev/file1.txt

U 1dev/file2.txt

U 1dev/file3.txt

I would then expect to be able to cd into the 1dev directory and execute
a cvs up -r patch_change and pull in only file3.txt, but that isn't the
case.  This is what I see:

$ cvs up -r patch_change

cvsnt server: Updating .

cvsnt server: file1.txt is no longer in the repository

cvsnt server: file2.txt is no longer in the repository

U file3.txt

It removed the other files.

What am I doing wrong?  Is this even possible without checking the
repositories out separately and combining them using OS specific
commands like cp ?

Jonathan Harding
Assistant Vice President and
Release Engineer