[cvsnt] timeout time for cvslockd file locks?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Mon Dec 3 18:16:15 GMT 2007

Mark Johnson wrote:
> Does anyone know what the expected time is for the tag operation
> (specifically the file lock time), for an individual file?  The file

Under a second normally.. it's mostly the time taken to copy the file to
rebuild it.  If there are hundreds of tags it slows down but you'd need
a lot to get to 20 seconds a file.

You shouldn't be seeing lock contention at all unless there's a lot of
activity on the server.  There were certain badly behaved autobuild
systems that used 'cvs log' to determine the state of the file every
couple of minutes. Those could bog down the server completely if they
had more than one operation running.. however I haven't heard anything
relating to them recently so either they've been fixed or they're not used.