[cvsnt] Cannot use WinMerge to vew revision diffs on ISOfiles...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Dec 8 08:21:24 GMT 2007

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 12:21:56 +1100, "Arthur Barrett"
<arthur.barrett at march-hare.com> wrote:

>> It seems that the tools (TCVS in my case) use a normal cvs
>> add without any
>> options when adding a file with the default text options --
>> which seems to
>> get overridden by CVSNT default options associated to file extensions.
>
>If ISO files on your system are text files then just add that to the
>server side cvswrappers.

I also have ISO files that are binary disk images and somehow the file
extention seems to be registered to various applications as they are
being installed or updated (WinImage, VirtualPC, Nero etc). The
registration moves....

But these binary image files I usually do not store in the repository
and when I do I add them as binary.

I do not have a Windows application that specifically uses the ISO
files as text data. In fact I don't even know of one, except I can set
my editor up to start when I doubleclick on an ISO file so I can read
it. But that does not alter the Windows registration the other
applications put there...

I work a lot (mostly) with automation systems for the production
industry and we usually deal with machine tool program files adhering
to ISO (International Standards Organization) syntax and format
standards. These files are handled differently by various machine tool
manufacturers by giving them different extensions (.ISO, .NC, .EIA,
.PGM, .CMD, no extension, etc etc etc).
They are all standard text files, though, and I need to version
control the files we are using for test so I can see revision
differences for example. By adding them as text I expected that to
happen but found that they were treated as binary, not good at all....

But as I said, we also have ISO files that are disk images so there
cannot be a server side decision on how to treat them, that must be
decided by the developer adding them to the repository!

The posting I did was really about WinMerge in connection with
WinCvs/CVSNT and I have tried in vain to find out why it does what it
does when launched from within WinCvs with the two revisions as
argumnent.
Any ideas about that? I have looked everywhere in the WinMerge
settings without finding an entry that might control this...

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)