[cvsnt] Error Message: "Malformed line 8 in CVSROOT/shadow - Need Module Tag Directoryok"

James Garrison jhg at athensgroup.com
Wed Feb 7 18:12:56 GMT 2007

Here's my CVSROOT/shadow:

-----BEGIN-----
# The "shadow" file is used to control automatic checkouts.
#
# Each line has 3 parts:
#
# In common with other commit support files, use forward slashes
# and escape any spaces in filenames.

ittoolkit/process-server/resources/script/custom    HEAD
/zpool1/teamworks/itToolkit/dev/teamworks55sp6/process-server/resources/script/custom

------END------

[The last line will probably appear broken but it's all one line
in the file]

When I do a commit, either locally with the solaris command line
client or from TortoiseCVS on Windows, the commit is successful
but then I get the message

    Malformed line 8 in CVSROOT/shadow - Need Module Tag Directoryok

Then the operation hangs (i.e. never completes).  I have to ^C (command
line) or "Abort" (TortoiseCVS).  I get the message on ALL commits,
regardless of whether or not they're in the auto-checkout directory.

I have used this technique successfully before with repositories
located on Windows systems.  This is the first time I've tried to
do auto-checkout on a Solaris repository.

Things I have tried:

1) Verified that the module and checkout paths in CVSROOT/shadow
   are correct and point to real directories

2) Tried the leading  '^' as specified in the documentation,
   even though I know the doc is incorrect

3) Used tabs instead of spaces on both sides of the HEAD tag
   in case it's sensitive to the type of whitespace.

4) Verified that if I do a "cvs update" from inside the
   checkout directory (/zpool1/teamworks..../custom) it updates
   correctly.

Here are the contents of CVS/Repository and CVS/Root from the
auto-checkout directory, in case they are helpful:

CVS/Repository:
ittoolkit/process-server/resources/script/custom

CVS/Root:
:pserver:garrisoj at cesd7001:/usr/local/cvs

--
James Garrison                                Athens Group, Inc.
mailto:jhg at athensgroup.com                    5608 Parkcrest Dr