[cvsnt] cvsnt for word doc version control

Tim Chippington Derrick tim at chippingtonderrick.co.uk
Thu Feb 8 18:22:09 GMT 2007

Hi

Yes CVSNT has great functionality for many version control and
management activities. It just works, day after day, for many
thousands (millions?) of people worldwide, so it is about as reliable
as you can get anywhere. It's the backbone of most open-source
projects, some of which are huge and have many varied developers
distributed worldwide making edits independently and merging their
changes. Read about the functionality in the various books and
manuals for the details.

As for MS Word doc and other MS office formats - they are often
wholly or partly binary, and CVSNT doesn't do version control on
these sorts of files very well - it just keeps a fresh copy for each
new version. It's not really CVSNT's problem - its the brain-dead MS
file formats that effectively cripple virtually any serious attempt
to do proper version management.

Just my 0.02 euros, having been battling with half-baked manual
version control of MS word docs for the last N weeks...

Tim