[cvsnt] CVSNT service user and impersonation

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Wed Feb 28 03:16:09 GMT 2007

Rick Martin wrote:

> I got a short term solution implemented by using NET USE workaround.
> I ended up putting the user name and password in a text file in the CVSROOT
> folder but not making it part of CVSROOT module. That way no one can get to
> if via CVS. Makes me feel a little better.
> Longer term: I'll probably go with Glen's latest suggestion to use a shadow
> on the server and directory sync tool to push to the network locations.

Another suggestion: I'm not sure the cvs server needs to use impersonation.
I used to use it for NTFS permissions before cvsnt ACLs, and have it set to
use impersonation since then. But now, with the cvsnt ACLs, I'm not sure
it's needed anymore.

Maybe you can run the whole service as a user that has the necessary rights
(not as SYSTEM) and don't use impersonation; run it all as that user. There
are two locations: the service configuration and the cvsnt applet. I'm not
sure which one would have to be set to that user, but I think it doesn't
hurt to set them both.

Gerhard