[cvsnt] Problems pointing out repository on windows share

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Wed Feb 28 15:32:28 GMT 2007

> From: Jenson
> I can´t point to a folder on a mounted windows share in the cvsnt
> control. Why is that?

Because, like all sensible database systems, CVSNT should have its storage on directly attached (or SAN - but not NAS) disk.  This keeps the speed and the reliability of database commits sufficiently high.  Otherwise, one network failure can corrupt your repository.  If you need more information on why networked storage is a problem, look at the horror stories around Microsoft Access and Microsoft Visual SourceSafe.

> I need to have the repository on the mounted folder to get backup.

Then I suggest your organisation reviews its backup strategy.  Yes, seriously - it should be treating the repository at least as seriously as it treats any other database asset.  Failing that, you could use a file synchronisation tool to sync the repository state onto networked disk, or you could install CVSNT on a machine that is already backed up.

I know this advice sounds arrogant.  It's not.  I've had to go in to client sites to repair network-mounted databases in the past.  They weren't happy with the reliability of their systems, and you won't be happy with yours if you go down this route.

		- Peter