[cvsnt] How to add users for remote accessing

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-cvsnt at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Jan 3 03:52:30 GMT 2007

At Tuesday 2/1/2007 23:49, Quy Nguyen wrote:

>In domain "ABC" of a company I add user as following:
>cvs passwd -a -D ABC username1(username1 is an account in domain ABC)
>After that, we can use account username1 with domain password to
>access cvs server.
>
>1. If user who has username1 account would like change his password,
>he'll meet error. So we can't change password of username1. Is is right ?

If you use a domain account, it's not CVSNT who does the
authentication, but the domain controller. Notice that in this case
CVSNT doesn't ask for the user password - it does not even know it!
So if you change the user password at the domain level, it's  a
global change, affecting CVSNT too.

>2. If an user who is outside of ABC domain, how can he access cvs
>server? I add that user as following:
>  cvs passwd -a username2
>[enter username2's password] : 123456
>after that, I try to log in with username2 but I meet error:
>Switch to user failed due to configuration error
>How can I add this user ?

You have to say which real user corresponds with the alias you created:
cvs passwd -r [real user name] -a [cvs user name]
Look for the passwd command in the cvsnt manual.

>3.  If an user who is inside of ABC domain, how can I add this user
>with a certain  password(without using domain password) and he can
>change his password?

You have to decide WHO will authenticate the user. If you want the
domain controller to authenticate, you must use a domain user with
its domain password, protocol sspi, and the user can't change its
password to be different than the domain password (because simply
there is not a CVSNT password to change! remember that CVSNT does not
authenticate the user in this case, it must trust the domain controller).

If you want to let CVSNT do the authentification, you can use an
arbitrary username and password (different from the domain ones),
protocol sserver.

For more info, look in the CVSNT manual for the passwd command, and
the section "Getting started" on the wiki: http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki
(specially the two documents "Installation tips")

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.