[cvsnt] Mergepoint issues on 2.5.0.3 b2382

Harrison, Andy andy.harrison at anite.com
Thu Jan 11 14:07:18 GMT 2007

Arthur,

> As Tony Eva pointed our - the thread discussing the technical stuff is
available here:
> http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2006-June/025200.html

Yes, I've waded through most of that thread and couldn't find the answer
to the question:
Which was the last version of CVSNT that supported this feature? It was
taken out somewhere between 2.0.58d and 2.5.0.3. Nobody seems to be able
to tell be when it was taken out.

Thank you for your recommendation on our processes. Unfortunately,
trying to change a process around here is a long and drawn out process
in itself, and not one I wish to start just yet.

I would amend the source code myself, however I lack the capability of
building it. I downloaded it a few years ago when we first started using
CVSNT, but found I didn't have the correct tools to build it. I don't
know if this has changed recently?

Having gone through the afore-mentioned thread, I must say that I came
out of it largely agreeing with Tony Eva, not Tony Hoyle. Tony H at one
point makes the assertion:

> From cvs' point of view they are equivalent.. an alternative way of
> viewing a mergepoint is a point of equivalence in the tree - it's a
> point that you don't have to worry about earlier revisions so can
> simplify the merge.
>
> Trust me - I invented the things :)

I think this lies at the crux of the matter. If I may disagree with Tony
on this point, this may be the way that mergepoints are intended, but
this is not always the case. If this were true then we would not be
having this conversation. If the mergepoint was always a point of
equivalence, then you should be able to merge in any direction. The
problem occurs because sometimes a particular mergepoint is not infact a
point of equivalence, and so if you treat it as such you will get an
incorrect merge, probably resulting in lost data.

It would seem that, being presented with this problem, the CVS team have
removed what is (in my view) a valuable feature. If I may be so bold as
to suggest an alternative approach could have been to leave in the
merging feature but to address the mergepoint problem instead. That is,
only creating the mergepoint when there is a real point of equivalence.
If this is an avenue that the CVS team would consider exploring then I
am more than happy to get involved. However, as I mentioned above, I
lack the tools to be able to do this on my own.

At this point I would like to say that I have no desire to kick of the
massive thread again that happened last year, sorry for bringing the
subject up again. The one question I really want an answer to is my
original question: Which was the last version of CVSNT that supported
this feature?

Rgds,
Andy
--
Andy Harrison - Platform Software Engineer
Anite Telecoms Ltd. Ancells Business Park, Fleet, Hampshire, GU51 2UZ,

A member of the Anite Group of companies. Please refer to www.anite.com for individual Anite company details. The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorised to and must not disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message or any part of it. It may contain information which is confidential and/or covered by legal professional or other privilege. Contracts cannot be concluded with us nor legal service effected by email.

Anite Group plc
Registered in England No.1798114
Registered Office: 353 Buckingham Avenue Slough Berks SL1 4PF United Kingdom
VAT Registration No. GB 787 418187

Scanned for viruses by BlackSpider MailControl.