[cvsnt] cvslock.exe not started: bug?

David Citron dcitron at nni.com
Fri Jan 26 12:14:47 GMT 2007

Thanks, Tony!

I guess the people who are running into this problem are people who
install TortoiseCVS to manage a local-only CVSNT repository and then
install ViewVC to browse it. TortoiseCVS does not install cvslock as
a system service (though it's easy to do so later via "cvslock -i");
TortoiseCVS relies on cvs.exe to automatically start cvslock when needed.

The issue I described happens if you start your computer and try to
use ViewVC without first executing a CVS command through TortoiseCVS.

If you think that's too much of an edge case to worry about, I
understand. However, I was inspired to send this email in the first
place since others (besides myself) seem to be having this same issue
over at ViewVC's mailing list. It would seem to be a small change to
get the block of code that starts cvslock to run even for the
"rcsfile" case: in src/main.cpp around line 1486, change:
to:
    "if((cm->attr & CVS_CMD_LOCKSERVER) || (\1))"

In fact, it almost looks like an oversight not to have this check,
since the outer "if" block starting at line 1465 *does* have it.

Right?

Thanks!
David