[cvsnt] How to use CVS with VBA?

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 30 19:01:28 GMT 2007

I'm not sure if this is off topic, or belongs to another list.  If so, I
appologize.

I've been using CVSNT for years already with my PHP, HTML & Java code and
love it.  Recently, however, I've been starting to work with VBA apps.
Specifically, an MS Access database application.  I'm stuck, however, trying
to understand if/how there is a way to use CVS for source controlling my VBA
code in my MDB application.

My knowledge of VBA development is still rather limited, so forgive me if
this sounds like a silly question.  The only way I know to access the Access
VBA code is to open the mdb in access, and from there open the Visual Basic
Editor (version 6.5).  When I save the VB code, it saves it within the MDB
file.

I realize that I can check in and check out the entire MDB every time, but
that seems extremely inefficient - both in terms of space (it is a binary
file, so would have to checkin over a meg every time), and in terms of
source control - I won't be able to see differences between versions, or
roll back and forth easily, etc...

Does anyone have any ideas how (or even if) it is possible to use CVS on VBA
files?  I can only imagine this would apply to any MS product - like Excel,
Access, Word, etc....

If I should be posting this to another list, please let me know!

Thanks,

Eric