[cvsnt] CVS HEAD stuck?!?

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Mon Jul 2 13:28:17 BST 2007

FWIW:
I also have zombies appearing from time to time, but they are orders of
magnitude less frequent now than a few years back.
But they still happen....
My diagnostic is that they appear more often if a large cvs operation
fails because of things like disk or network errors. Once stopped the
cvs process that was running at the time will never end by itself and it
will lock certain parts of the repository, such as a particular file or
directory.
Now the chance of getting another zombie is higher because it seems like
a new cvs operation that collides with the zombie can easily get to
zombie state itself.

We work almost 100% through WinCvs so the zombie creation might be
connected to this process on the client side.

Anyway, years ago I set up a scheduled task on the CVS server that runs
at 4.00 AM every night and kills all cvs processes running at the time
(kill cvs.exe). You need to use a kill program that can elevate to the
needed level to kill the cvs.exe process. I got mine from SysInternals.

After this we have no problems anymore.

But of course our server is not that busy, and especially at 4:00 in the
morning we are guaranteed noone is working. To safeguard the system you
might want to use a batch file like this:

net stop cvsnt
kill cvs.exe
net start cvsnt

Schedule it to run at the time of least cvs traffic every day.

This way you won't hit operations in the middle and kill valid cvs.exe
processes.

Best regards,

Bo Berglund