[cvsnt] rename breakage

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu Jul 19 16:31:37 BST 2007

Bryce,

I'm lost now.  Your original report said that two developers working in
two sandboxes one on trunk and one on branch, that after the user on
trunk renames a file the rename appears on the branch.  In your example
now this problem is clearly NOT happening, so this is "not a bug".

As far as I can tell from your example the command "cvs update -r
branch1" does not work with a renamed file, but if two people are
working in two sandboxes (or you use cvs co -r) then all works fine.  Is
this the only problem you are seeing?

You are now mentioning that something is wrong in rlog.  As far as I can
tell the problem with rlog only occurs because of the problem with cvs
update -r.  The workaround is simply not to use cvs update -r.

If the problem you originally described could be reproduced then I'd
consider it a significant bug and fix it myself.  The "cvs update -r"
bug seems to me to be a minor one since that is not how two developers
work (it is how one developer works who is switching a sandbox between
one branch and another).  I'm happy to list it as a minor bug that does
not affect the user if they use the "standard process".

Please confirm that my understanding is correct.  If my understanding is
not correct please provide an example and since it is getting a bit
messy - clearly state the provided result versus the expected result and
if posible a "real world" use case.

My current understanding with the provided examples is that if you have
two developers in two sandboxes one on trunk and one on branch that one
user can successfully rename a file and the other use is NOT affected,
and that this is the defined behaviour of the cvs rename command.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett