[cvsnt] Several questions on cvs usage

Chuck Kirschman Chuck.Kirschman at Nosp_am.bentley.com
Thu Jul 19 22:15:01 BST 2007

"cvs -nq up" has been the time-honored way of determining which files
are changed in cvs.  I'm surprised that Tony desupported it.  The lucky
coincidence is that it still works for now, and is much easier to use
with regex's and other commands.  Is "cvs -q stat -qq" everyone's
preferred way to look at the change set now?  There isn't a single
google hit on that command.  This is such a fundamental thing that
everyone needs to do; there should be some simple, well-documented
procedure.

One other problem with that command is that it misses DLLs, EXEs, etc.
Update at least supports -I! so you can see these files.  I have no idea
why they don't appear with the "?" in either command, but it's pretty
annoying.  If there is a loose DLL in my source tree, I really want to
know about it.

chuck

[c:\testcvs]cvs -q stat -qq
? nt.x
File: no file cvs-command.html          Status: Locally Removed
/xxxx.1                                                 Locally Added

[c:\testcvs]cvs -nq up -I!
? CVS
? nt.dll
? nt.x