[cvsnt] Does Commit Message make a difference in the version

Raj Simha cvs_admn at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 25 19:20:37 BST 2007

Hi All,
  I have a file called file1 (may be foo.ears or something like that)

  I committed that file into the repository from my work Space.

  cvs commit  <file1>

  Then I was asked to write a commit message I presse ESC key and then
  "c" for continue

  file1 was committed and it formed a version 1.1

  Now  I copied the file <file1> again into my worsk space (which will be over written on the old file if there is something new)

  Now I tried committing this file using the command

   cvs commit -m "Testing Msg version" <file1>

  To my surprise its committed and formed another version 1.2

  I am just wondering how this is possible even though there is no change in the File content.

  I tried to see the difference b/w the two versions, and I could not see any difference except the time they both were committed and the version numbers.

  Please help me to know the concept. This helps me a lot.

  Thanks,
  -Raj