[cvsnt] Facing an issue while merging and checking in the file

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Thu Jul 26 00:34:34 BST 2007

Ved Patel wrote:

> To checkin the latest version on branch B_1 to Branch  B_2
>
> We are  using the update command as
>
> D:\CVS\TestingApps\1cal\ClassLibrary36>cvs update -r B_2 Class1.cs
> RCS file: /repository/ClassLibrary36/Class1.cs,v
> retrieving revision 1.2.2.3
> retrieving revision 1.3.2.3

Here you are still on branch B_1. You also did not commit your changes to
the repository. So while this is merging, it doesn't merge branch B_1 into
branch B_2, it merges your local changes (which you made while the sandbox
was on branch B_1) into the repository version of branch B_2.

This is something that does work, but is probably not what you want. In
order to get a branch merge, you should have committed your changes before
running the update command. Then run the update command as above, and it
will not merge; it will update your sandbox to branch B_2. /Then/ run an
update command with '-r B_1', and this will now merge the repository branch
B_1 into your sandbox files.

That is, if I understood you correctly... :)

Gerhard