[cvsnt] Not complete Tags

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu Jul 26 14:35:16 BST 2007

Albe,

> specific version (i.e. "ver_7.0"), tag everything with Build number
> (i.e. "Ver 7.0.20052"), and then compile. Old version of this
> procedure
> didn't double check the new tag against the original, we
> simply used to
> trust cvsnt, but then discrepancies were found over time
> between tags, a

If a file cannot be tagged I do not think CVSNT returns an error.  Eg:
if a tag already exists with the same name then that is not considered
an error - the file is "simply" skipped.  Quite possibly all errors
(other than things like communication failures) are treated that same
way.

The best thing to do would be to enable auditing, and also redirect the
stdout and stderr of the tag process to files with unique names.  If the
problem occurs again now you have updated the client to 2382, look at
the SessionLog, TagLog and HistoryLog and also the stderr/stdout of the
tag operation and see if that sheds any light on what is happening.

I am not aware of any limit on the number of tags or on any bugs that
would cause a tag not to be applied and this is the first time I can
remember having seen such a report.

Is there anything "special" about the files that have not received that
tag (eg: is it on a magic branch, or is it -kx) and is it always the
same file(s) that are not tagged?

Regards,

Arthur Barrett