[cvsnt] Looking for help in setting up Wincvs 2.0.2.4 for windows.

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Jun 1 06:37:02 BST 2007

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 10:09:07 +0530, "Smita Puntula -X \(spuntula - HCL
at Cisco\)" <spuntula at cisco.com> wrote:

> I have installed CVSNT server one PC and cleint on another PC.
> I am able to login to cvs server using cvs client and can list the files in the CVSROOT directory.

This shows the server is working.

>The problem I am facing now is adding the directory which is to be cvsed on server side. This what i did
>In mycase CVSROOT directory is in "C:\cvsrepos\DSLInterop" I copied the code dir to be CVSed under the same location.

Completely wrong approach! It is absolutely forbidden to manually put
any files at all into the repository file tree!!!
Everything must go via the cvs commands!

>and from command prompt executed the following commands to add the directory to cvs.
>
>C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>cvs add Interoptoolcode
>cvs add: in directory .:
>cvs [add aborted]: there is no version here; do 'cvs checkout' first

You cannot cvs add anythiong until you have a working checked out
"sandbox" first.

>It asks to checkout first, but until its cvsed how to checout it??
>Please tell me how to proceed from here.

1. Delete the files you have manually put into the repository on the
server!

2. Go to the client PC instead (log out from Windows on the server PC)

3. On the client PC create a folder like C:\Projects

4. Go to a command prompt on the client PC in that folder:
C:\Projects>

5. Now issue the following command:
C:\Projects>cvs -d :sspi:cvsserver_pc_name:/DSLInterop co .

6. This will check out the root of the repository including the
CVSROOT subdir

7. Now start WinCvs and use the menu cmd:
View/BrowseLocations/Change.. and navigate to the folder C:\Projects

8. You will see that WinCvs now displays a folder with a black
ckeckmark.

9. Back in Windows Explorer copy your project source folder with files
into the C:\Projects folder.

10. In WinCvs you will now see the extra project folder
C:\Projects\MyNewProject (or whatever you might call it)

11. Now you have prepared everything to put the files into CVS server.
You have two completely different ways to do this, but since you
started with cvs add I will talk about that method. You will
definmitely want to read up on CVS itself too afterwards....

12. In WinCvs select the new folder and click the white button with
the little red cross in the speedbutton bar. Or use the menu command
"Modify/Add". The folder icon now changes and shows the black
checkmark.

13. Navigate into the folder to see all the files inside. They all
have an icon with a ? inside showing they are not part of CVS.

14. Select all *text* files you want to be in CVS and then click the +
button like you did for the folder. Notice that there are two more
possible similar buttons available, but these are for binary and
unicode files respectively. Don't use these yet.

15. Select all binary files in the same way. Normally obj and lib
files are not stored in CVS, only source files that are needed to
*create* the obj and lib files need to be in CVS. But you might want
to store files like res files and images that are binary and possibly
also the final result (exe, ocx, dll etc).
Then click the + button with the "01" binary designator.

16. Iterate through the above procedure 12-15 for all subfolders in
your project as well.

17. Finally select the top folder of your project in the left pane and
then click the button with the red arrow.
Now a dialog shows up where you are supposed to enter a message that
will be stored with this checkin, write something sensible like "Fisrt
checkin of MyProject" or similar. Then click OK

18. Now cvs will send these files to the server and create the actual
module inside the repository. The files in the repository are written
by cvs with a special format that is not possible to create manually
in the correct way, that is why you cannot simply copy your files into
the repository.
All the red icons you have seen will now be replaced by white icons
showing that the files are indeed cvs managed files.