[cvsnt] Undo Commit?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Thu Jun 14 15:15:36 BST 2007

Arthur Barrett wrote:

>>   But, So you say even though we use those Admin commands and
>> remove that version he accidentally did, still that has a history?
>
> No - never ever ever use the admin command.

I have (admittedly rare) applications for removing past (obsolete)
revisions. It seems that I'm not the only one, as the "select non
significant" revisions command in WinCvs seems to show: someone took the
effort to implement it, and its main purpose seems to be to remove these
revisions after selecting them.

I'd vouch for disabling the features that are broken in the revision
removal (e.g. it seems that it doesn't work well with -kB files, but I've
so far been lucky with -kb files), but leave the rest.

> # cvsnt --yes-this-may-destroy-everything-ive-ever-done admin etc
> cvs server: ok ok ok, repository mangled and broken as requested

Well, yes -- I think a command that doesn't work is not a good thing to
have. But other than that, I don't think that removing revisions is
something evil. It just should work... or, well, not be there.

Gerhard