[cvsnt] Edit in offline mode

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Sat Jun 23 03:44:08 BST 2007

Peter,

> > IMO you gave the original emailer the bum's rush. And I expect no
> > better.  But if you're trying to keep track of what people think on
> > this issue, please note that offline working still happens.

This is an open source proeject - we publish the source and are allways
willing to accept modifications.  I look forward to receiving yours on
the cvsnt-dev list.

> If you want to work offline do the edit before going offline - thus
> informing your teammates that you are editing the file and
> (optionally)
> preventing them from making changes during that time.

I agree completely with Tony - the original behaviour of CVS was
duplicitous - edit was supposed to keep your teammates advised and yet
it couldn't if it was offline.  An alternative would be a "silent edit"
which could be a parameter to edit or a separate comment.  In either
case (depending on the server config) the server will insist on a "real
commit" and/or "real edit" when you are back online.

Again - if you'd like to make the modification and post it to cvsnt-dev
that would be seriously considered.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett