[cvsnt] viewvc repecting cvsnt's ACLs

Mark Johnson amarkjohnson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 18:09:36 GMT 2007

On 3/9/07, bwhicks at aep.com <bwhicks at aep.com> wrote:

> 1. The RCS files must be local, so you have to run a web server on your
> cvs server for viewvc to work (what if I want them on separate hardware?).
> 2. Because viewvc can only see RCS files locally, you can't have one
> viewvc server display info for multiple cvs servers.

Slightly off the main topic, but what would the performance trade off be of
replicating the repository to another machine (or possibly the repositories
of more than one machine to another machine), where viewvc could run.  This
repository on the other machine would obviously be read only, and only
receive update from the replication.  Is anyone doing this?

This obviously does not address the security issue of not respecting ACLs,
which I am also very interested in.  Another problem with using any other
tool for security is that it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to
apply security to branches, since it's all in the same file at the OS level.

Mark