[cvsnt] rearranging branches

Rick Martin rsmandcam at _NO_SPAM_sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 19 22:27:39 GMT 2007

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:35:22 -0700, Rick Martin wrote:

>> Z:\>cvs -H tag
>> Usage: cvs tag [-bcdFflR] [-r rev|-D date] tag [files...]
>>          -A      Make alias of existing branch (requires -r).
>>
>> Use the alias feature to name it like you wanted to.
>>
>> Then I *think* you might be able to delete the original tag ... not sure
>> on that though, TEST FIRST!!
>
> Thanks, Glen.
>
> I didn't really understand what an Alias tag was. I'll test it out and
> report back.
>
> Rick

Hi Glen,

Thanks a lot for pointing the Alias branch out to me. It let me do what I
needed pretty easily.
In case anyone else runs into the need to rename a branch here is what I
did.

First I updated the module to the old branch.
cvs update -P -t -d -r Old_Branch
Then I created a new branch based on the old branch.
cvs tag -A -r Old_Branch New_Branch
Finally, (after checking and testing everything) I deleted the old branch.
cvs tag -d -B Old_Branch

Looking at a graph of one of the files in the branch shows the New_Branch
with all of the revision previously associated with Old_Branch.

Hopefully, this will help someone else.

Rick