[cvsnt] rearranging branches

Rick Martin rsmandcam at _NO_SPAM_sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 20 19:34:28 GMT 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:56:29 -0300, Flávio Etrusco wrote:

> From my experience, the 'alias' flag should well be named 'clone'; IOW
> in all CVSNT versions I've ever used, yes you can remove the old
> branch after doing 'tag -A'.
>
> But you'd better use the 'rtag' command instead so that 'cvs removed'
> files in the repository don't keep the old branch tag and you don't
> need to mess with your sandbox.
>
> cvs rtag -A -r Old_Branch New_Branch Module
> (Now you could update your sandbox to the new branch to assure it's working)
> cvs rtag -d -B Old_Branch Module

Thanks, Flávio.

In this case I needed to run the tag operations on the local sandbox.
There were many files that had the old branch name. In each case I wanted
to take a subset of those files and give them a new branch name in place of
the old one and then get rid of the old one.
By updating my local sandbox to the subset of files and using tag instead
of rtag it let me do this.

Rick