[cvsnt] Online/Offline Backup of CVSNT respositories on Linux

Luigi D. Sandon mailbox at sandon.it
Mon Mar 26 15:41:17 BST 2007

An offline backup is simply a copy of the repository, if you can ensure
noone is accessing it. You can take it "offline" stopping the server. You
can use any file copy utility to make a backup.

What you call an "online backup" is a replica actually, not a backup. An
"online backup" would be a coherent snapshot of the repository in a given
point in time - backups aren't modified once made, usually. I do not know if
there is a safe way to make an online backup.

AFAIK there are some tools to replicate repositories - don't know if there
are free ones. Be aware that an unreliable replication is worse than no
replication at all - I'd look for a good solution, not just a free one.

--
LDS