[cvsnt] Accessing cvsnt archives from Linux

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Mar 27 23:39:32 BST 2007

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:02:18 -0500, "David Best"
<DBest at dataradio-cor.com> wrote:

>Arthur,
>
>Thanks for your reply.  I am not sure my question was clear, or perhaps
>I misunderstand your answer.
>
>We would like to keep our archive managed by the CVSNT on a windows
>machine, and keep using our
>Tortoise windows clients.  We would be adding Linux clients that need
>to access the archives on the
>CVSNT windows machine.  What should our Linux clients run to
>convieniently access our existing archive?

To repeat Arthur:

Most people use the CVSNT command line on Linux.

To ensure the highest reliability ensure sure you download the CVSNT
for Linux binaries rather than the old CVS ones that may have come
with your Linux distro.

What this means is:
1) You need the CVSNT binary on the Linux box in the same way as
Tortoise needs the CVSNT binary on Windows to operate. Tortoise and
WinCvs are just GUI frontends to the CVSNT command line binary.

2) Since there are no "neat" GUI style front-ends to CVS(NT) on Linux
your users must resort to using the command line directly.

There exists a Linux version of WinCvs called gCvs, that I have never
seen myself but it is part of the CVSGui project at SourceForge.
Apparently it is at least for some working in approximately the same
way as WinCvs on Windows.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)