[cvsnt] "the :extssh: access method is not available on this system"

Hüller Gernot G.Hueller at mobilkom.at
Fri Mar 30 18:00:10 BST 2007

OK I toyed around a bit with the trace log.
I think my problem is solved now, I cannot use ":extssh:..." as the repository, I have to write ":ssh:..." but it seems to work anyway... magic...

Anyway, I have some suggestions to make.

1) I don't know if extssh is used widely enough to include it in a FAQ. Anyway I would appreciate an introduction on what extssh is (not), and how it compares to "ssh without the ext". Just searching google did not turn up useful results.

2) apparently sshnt bluntly takes the substring from the CVS location and tries to load a corresponding protocol DLL. Try this for fun: cvs -d :tinkywinky:myuser:mypasswd at myhost.mycompany.com:/myprojectname -ttt info
results in:
18:41:01:   -> Tracelevel set to 3.  PID is 2500
18:41:01:   -> Session ID is 9c4460d3d9d6b33
18:41:01:   -> Session time is Fri Mar 30 16:41:01 2007
18:41:01:   -> CLibraryAccess::Load loading C:\PROGRA~1\CVSNT/protocols/tinkywinky.dll
18:41:01:   -> LibraryAccess::Load failed for 'C:\PROGRA~1\CVSNT/protocols/tinkywinky.dll', Win32 error 0000007e
18:41:01:   -> Error loading tinkywinky.dll
cvs [info aborted]: the :tinkywinky: access method is not available on this system

2a) you could write the name of the cvs root to the trace _before_ loading the protocol library because in the example above, it is not written at all.

3) I have seen that there is a replacement configuration in protocol_map.ini.
Apparently this is NOT working, because otherwise a protocol DLL would have been loaded for "extssh"

I wanted to write a bug report for 3), but the bugdb harshly told me I have no permission to do so. So whoever has such permission, feel free.

Regards,
	Gernot