[cvsnt] Problem using binary option -kB

Fabrice PUBILIER fabrice.pubilier at atosorigin.com
Wed May 2 18:38:01 BST 2007

Hi,
I have some binaries on a repository that I monthly clean-up removing
revisions between tags, I use the command:
cvs admin -o Begin:End
I recently discovered that the binaries are not correctly patched anymore
since I posted them with the -kB option instead of -kb, so I made a few
tests:

Here is the configuration with my tests
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2260
(client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2382
(client/server)

- FilePostedUsing-kB ==>
cvs -z9 -w admin -o 1.5 -- "FilePostedUsing-kB" (in directory
C:\Dev_CdS\TestsCVSNT\)
RCS file:
/services/Repository_CVS/CelluleGC/TestsCVSNT/FilePostedUsing-kB.xls,v
cvs admin: inflate: invalid distance too far back
cvs [admin aborted]: reading from server: Input/output error

- FilePostedUsing-kb ==> Ok with binaries removal and no problem to get back
old posts before the deleted revisions.

Is there any problem with the new algorithm to compress binaries?

For instance on my production repository here is my configuration:
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.51d (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.26 (client/server)

I manage to remove revisions in both case (-kb end -kB) but the -kB
operation render old revision unpatchable:
When I try to get an old revision before some deleted ones here is what I
get:
cvs [server aborted]: Binary patch failed

Any help would be welcome,
Regards,
Fabrice.
Atos Origin