[cvsnt] Problem with updates

r.pedroche.novillo at accenture.com r.pedroche.novillo at accenture.com
Thu May 3 12:08:55 BST 2007

  Greetings.

  We have a CVSNT 2.5.03 Build 2382 server running under Windows Server 2003.

  When performing updates in some fairly large XML files (up to 50 MB in size), server process hangs. Tracing the server shows a lot of calls of the form

12:17:38: S -> rcsbuf_fill(02B92080,07F80F51,0012F05C,0012F098)

with second number increasing in 0x1400 (5120) steps until trace suddenly stops.

  Server process begins using a whole processor core and there is no further progress. Process also allocates memory until reaching about 200 MB in size.

  Aborting the client leaves the server process running and it has to be manually killed.

  Checkouts, on the other hand, work correctly. Updates to a freshly checked out sandbox (no changes) finish successfully. Other directories with binary files or small text files also work correctly.

  It seems like the problem arises when the server tries to generate the delta for the XML file.

  Any clue as what can be happening?

  We have used CVSNT in previous projects with similar files without any problem.

  We tried downgrading to 2.0.53d version, the visible effect being that trace showed a single call to RCS_update() instead of the rcsbuf_fill() calls.

  Regards,

Raúl Pedroche Novillo
Tel: +34 91 596 6000 ext 52576
Accenture Outsourcing Services	 Mail/IM: r.pedroche.novillo at accenture.com