[cvsnt] Lockserver problem (cvslockd)

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Nov 6 14:20:59 GMT 2007

MusiMeli wrote:
> # LockServer    Default lock server location.  Can be overridden by
> #     LockServer directive in individual repositories.
> LockServer=NewServer:2402

Comment this out. It is almost never required to have the lockserver on
a separate server to the main cvsnt server.

> Then I found an "outstanding bug" for Debian: "cvsnt: cvslockd crashes at
> startup":

 From the comments they had an invalid network configuration (their
hostname->ip address lookup returned 127.0.0.1, so it was impossible for
software to find out the IP address of the machine).  2382 used to
detect this and display the error but still fall over later.. that was
fixed a while back.

 > cvs init: connect to NewServer(NewServer):2402 failed: Connection refused

Probably 'NewServer' isn't running a lockserver.  As mentioned before,
don't try to put lockserver on a different machine like that unless you
have an already working server to start with - there are too many things
that need configuring first - eg. lockserver itself won't listen on
public IPs by default.   Multi-machine servers although possible (with a
SAN) aren't something that is very common.

cvs.cvsnt.org runs on a 64bit debian box btw. so that configuration
probably has more testing than most.