[cvsnt] Where are CVS ACL settings stored?

bwhicks at aep.com bwhicks at aep.com
Mon Nov 19 14:36:03 GMT 2007

cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org wrote on 11/17/2007 06:42:17 PM:

> Hi,
>
> I'm starting to experiment with CVS ACL settings and with the new VMFree

> application, it makes it quite easy.  However, I was wondering exactly
where
> the ACL settings are stored.  Are they stored within files in the
CVSROOT
> directory (at the repo level),
> or in a per-module basis?

They are stored in the repository on a per-directory basis. Look in the
CVS directories for a file called "fileattr.xml". it is possible to edit
these by hand, but you should really use the cvs chacl and cvs rchacl
commands.

> What prevents a regular user from changing access settings on a module?
Are
> there file-level permissions that I need to set somewhere to ensure that

> only admins have access to it?  What would the read / write settings
need to
> be and on which files?

users should never be able to log in to the local machine. This would
force them to use the chacl commands, but if an admin uses the chacl
command to set "control" to deny for everyone but himself, then regular
users can't change things.

Brian