[cvsnt] CVSNT 2.5.04.2682

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Sun Oct 28 21:37:32 GMT 2007

Just my 2c:

I dragged Tony back onto 2.5.4 from the (more interesting) EVS work to
fix some features that he added and I was unable to get working.  He's
also working on a couple of other changes that is more suited to his
programming strengths than mine.  We also have some internal bottlenecks
right now so Tony is being used to fill some gaps.

CVSNT is still in active development (from March Hare Software and
others) and March Hare Software have a commitment to keep it in active
development at least 3 years from when the first EVS stable is released
(and I expect it'll be in active development a lot longer than the
minimum).

Currently I have been doing the "bug fixes" and "customer paid for
features" in 2.5.03 and this will continue.  I have also been working on
the oracle audit in 2.5.04 so it works with Oracle 8/9/10 (the first cut
Tony did was Oracle 10 only).  I will move the "bug fixes" and "customer
paid for features" to 2.5.04 once the 2.5.04 features (sync, checksums,
oracle audit, new dir structure/path handling, code signatures etc) are
"stable".

As always we give write access to the repo and accept patches provided
they do not break the existing code, please join cvsnt-dev newsgroup if
you want to submit patches.

If Tony says that to support apostraphe in CVSNT 2.5.x is too hard/too
time consuming then I'd believe him, however he and I are two people
with finite time and resources, what is too time consuming for us is not
necessarily so for someone else (hint hint).

Torsten, I have your bug reports regarding :local: and the triggers and
nothing has been done about those at all yet - this latest 2.5.04
release was designed to "fix" the new features not for general bug
fixes.  In theory the only difference between 2.5.04 and 2.5.03.2382
(the current stable) are those features, so I'd assume that any bugs are
now fixed or they also existed in 2.5.03.2382 - that's the theory
anyway.

In particular I think the "triggers" bug did exist in 2.5.03 (but only
showed up on HPUX for some reason) and so did the apostraphe bug (I
assume it only occurs when you use permissions and/or watches/edits).
Now if I'm wrong then I want to know what was introduced to cause these
bugs.

So in summary:
* if there is a "bug" in 2.5.03 report it to this newsgroup, if it get's
confirmed by someone then I or Tony can add it to the bug database
* if you want a "feature" in 2.5.x then
  + code it yourself and submit to cvsnt-dev
  + advertise it here and get a lot of other people to agree and provide
a business case
  + purchase professional support and pay for feature
* if you need "fast tag" or a better "rename" then subscribe to
evs-support and begin testing the evs beta releases

Regards,

Arthur Barrett