[cvsnt] bug in update -d?

Leonardo Fernandes leonardo.fernandes at outsystems.com
Fri Sep 28 19:27:47 BST 2007

Hello,

I'm writing you because we ran across several problems, which appear to
be related to cvs update -d.

Sometimes when executing this command, some directories from an
unrelated subtree of the repository would be checked out to the working
copy. For example, our reporitory would look something like this:

/repository

| ----- Company

| ----- | ----- Sales & Marketing

| ----- | ----- | ----- H - Communication

| ----- HubServer

| ----- | ----- tools

| ----- | ----- | ----- BuildTools

| ----- | ----- | ----- | ----- Common

| ----- | ----- | ----- | ----- | ----- ...

Suppose we have a working copy of the HubServer module:

HubServer

| ----- tools

| ----- | ----- BuildTools

| ----- | ----- | ----- Common

| ----- | ----- | ----- | ----- ...

Doing a cvs update -d inside HubServer\tools\BuildTools sometimes
produced the following resulting working copy:

HubServer

| ----- tools

| ----- | ----- BuildTools

| ----- | ----- | ----- Common

| ----- | ----- | ----- | ----- ...

| ----- | ----- | ----- | ----- H - Communication

| ----- | ----- | ----- | ----- | ----- ...

The result is that the subtree from Company\Sales & Marketing\H -
Communication is checked out to the working copy. I couldn't figure out
what was making this behavior, but sometimes the working copy seemed to
get inconsistent, and following updates would result in errors:

> "C:\Program Files\CVSNT\cvs.exe" update -d -P 2>&1

? Synchronization/tickets

cvs server: Updating .

cvs server: cannot open directory
/repository/HubServer/tools/BuildTools/Common: Invalid argument

cvs server: skipping directory

I would like to know if this problem is already known in cvsnt. The
version being used was 2.5.03. Protocol sspi.

> cvs version

Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2260
(client/server)

Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2260
(client/server)

I have some dumps from cvs -t -t -t, if that can be of any help.

Thanks

Leonardo Fernandes

OutSystems