[cvsnt] Erroneously triggered temporary unedit watches

Alf Pearce alfp at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Aug 19 07:17:49 BST 2008

The following problem was posted on the TortoiseCVS web site, with a response to the effect that the problem is caused by CVSNT and not TortoiseCVS. Consequently, I would like to seek opinions from the CVSNT experts.

TortoiseCVS version: 1.10.7
CVSNT version: 2.5.03 (build 2382)
OS:  Windows XP SP2
CVS server: 1.11.5 (client/server) on HP Tru64

Our repository is configured with watching enabled so that developers have to do a "cvs edit" after checkout in order to make the file writable. This action also sets temporary watching on the file for this developer.

We could often have the following scenario:
  - user A checks out a file, issues a "cvs edit"
    and starts editing.
  - user B checks out the same file but does not edit
    the file, ie. it stays read-only.
  - user B releases the file.

In TortoiseCVS version 1.10.7, the release action by user B is triggering the temporary unedit watch and sending email to user A, despite the fact that user B never edited the file.

In TortoiseCVS version 1.8.29 which we have been using up till now, the scenario described above does not trigger the temporary unedit watch. TortoiseCVS version 1.8.29 comes with CVSNT version 2.5.03 (build 2260).

Triggering of temporary unedit watches at the time of release when one or more files are released should not be occurring on read-only files (ie. files for which the developer has not issued a "cvs edit" or for which the developer has previously issued a "cvs unedit").

Could this observed difference in behaviour be attributable to the different builds of CVSNT for the different versions of TortoiseCVS as has been suggested?

Alf.
--
Alf Pearce
Student System Project              Telephone: (03) 8344 2826
The University of Melbourne             Email: alfp at unimelb.edu.au
Disclaimer: <http://ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au/~alfp/disclaimer/>