[cvsnt] Odd Permissions Error When Tagging

John Doucette john.doucette at mackaymeters.com
Tue Dec 2 16:26:53 GMT 2008

Hi Matt,

Make sure you don't have a backup running at the same time acessing
those directories. I had a similar problem (but not with a CVS script)
and the Symantec Backup software was locking each file as it backed it
up. Also, if you do have a backup running the effect can be propogated
in the reverse direction. Ie. if the script gets to the file before the
backup software, the backup software may either skip the file, wait for
it to unlock, and/or write an entry to it's log. If you are running a
backup on the drive, check its logs too.

------------------------------

Message: 2
We have a script which does some overnight builds.  It runs through
various check-ins, check-outs and tagging.  Most of it works fine but we
are getting some odd errors on the tagging stage.

Its tagging 200+ files and it gets to one of the files and gives the
following error :

Unable to rename file
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/,randomfile.cpp, to
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/randomfile.cpp,v for
1 second, still trying...
Unable to rename file
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/,randomfile.cpp, to
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/randomfile.cpp,v for
2 seconds, still trying...
Unable to rename file
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/,randomfile.cpp, to
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/randomfile.cpp,v for
3 seconds, still trying...
Unable to rename file
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/,randomfile.cpp, to
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/randomfile.cpp,v for
4 seconds, still trying...
Unable to rename file
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/,randomfile.cpp, to
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/randomfile.cpp,v for
5 seconds, still trying...
Unable to rename file
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/,randomfile.cpp, to
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/randomfile.cpp,v for
6 seconds, still trying...
Unable to rename file
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/,randomfile.cpp, to
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/randomfile.cpp,v for
7 seconds, still trying...
Unable to rename file
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/,randomfile.cpp, to
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/randomfile.cpp,v for
8 seconds, still trying...
Unable to rename file
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/,randomfile.cpp, to
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/randomfile.cpp,v for
9 seconds, still trying...
Unable to rename file
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/,randomfile.cpp, to
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/randomfile.cpp,v for
10 seconds, giving up...
cvs [server aborted]: cannot rename file
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/,randomfile.cpp, to
/cvs/project/code/Directory/Subdirectory/anotherone/randomfile.cpp,v:
Permission denied

It seems to just be a random file, ie different one each time.

I have given 'everyone' full access to the whole repository and it still
happens.

It only ever happens on the tagging stage.

It sometimes goes away if we run the script over and over, but again it
seems to be random when it fails or works.

We are running CVSNT v.2.5.03 Build 2382 on Win2k3

Any ideas what's going wrong??

Thanks

Matt

signature database 3658 (20081202) __________