[cvsnt] Problem with / in $Id$ keyword replacement in Windows domain

Tim Chippington Derrick tim at chippingtonderrick.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 22:19:39 GMT 2008

Hi all

Is there a way to stop cvsnt from using user names with the windows
domain qualifier? I am having problems because of the backslash in the
"domain\user" format that I get from expanded $Id$ keywords inside
strings. I don't know whether this is a CVSNT question or whether it is
a result of using it with the WinCVS gui, but I am guessing it's CVSNT.

I am using CVSNT 2.5.03.2382 on Windows XP Pro x64, and using WinCVS
2.1.something. I am using the sspi protocol, but the CVSNT server and
WinCVS happen to both be on the same box at the moment.

I have been happily using CVSNT for about 7 years. Today I moved a
repository from off-site onto a more local server at the site where I am
currently working; the systems on site are all Windows of various
flavours and use Windows domains, so users tend to end up as
"domain\username" rather than just a plain username. This has not been a
problem for me until today.

I committed some updates to some files (actually it's C# source code)
and the $Id$ keywords in the source files get expanded to include the
username with the domain name and the backslash. In a comment that would
be fine, but the source code has the $Id$ inside a static string that
can be used to print detailed revision info per file at run time. Now
this new format of domain\username is giving me compilation errors as it
complains about unknown escape sequences in the resulting string. I'm
getting stuff like:

  public class OptimisationScope
  {
    public static String versionInfo = "$Id: OptimisationScope.cs,v 1.18
2008/10/24 14:42:12 Company\TimDerr Exp $ $Name: $";