[cvsnt] How to merge without conflicts?

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 4 21:00:55 GMT 2008

This might sound like a strange question, I know, but here is my situation.

I created a branch a while ago, and have been working diligently in it.
Meanwhile, work has progressed in the HEAD.  At this point, I need to merge
some of the changes from the HEAD into my branch.  However, when I try the
merge (as I typically do), CVS seems to find for certain files that the
entire file is in conflict and marks the entire file as conflicted instead
of just the handful of lines that have changed since the branch (I haven't
touched those particular files since I branched them).

Although this is a nuissance, I can live with it knowing that all I really
want is a fresh copy of the HEAD merged into my branch.  However, I can't
figure out a way to do that, short of copy/pasting the affected files.
(Which would then lose my merge history).

Is there any way to do a "merge", but to indicate to CVS that what I really
want is a fresh copy of a particular version of a file (in this case, the
latest HEAD version) in my branch and to not actually try to merge the
differences themselves?

Hope that makes sense.  Let me know if I'm being clear enough....

Thanks!

Eric