[cvsnt] Status of branch creation speed enhancement (bug 4855)

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu Jul 3 20:46:24 BST 2008

Colin,

> I'm trying to find the status of an enhancement to the speed
> of branch creation tracked as bug#4855.
>
> I've looked at the trouble ticket database but I'm unclear
> about the status.
>
> The main table suggests it appears in 2.5.0.4 as the column
> 'Fixed in' contains 'NEWAGB4, 2.5.04', however when I look at
> the detail of the bug the 'Fixed in' field is empty.
>

> Can anyone confirm if it is included in 2.5.0.4 (RC7)?

To the best of my knowledge - yes it is fixed in 2.5.04.  There is
certainly a 'findnextmagicrev' in the 2.5.04 rcs.cpp.

Tony is the one who applied it though, and he made a lot of changes to
the originally submitted patch (because the patch was provided for CVS
1.11/1.12 which needs a lot of workarounds CVSNT didn't need).

What we haven't had are any test results.

The actual patch fixes a very rare problem - be sure that it applies to
you before you get your hopes up - very helpful new feature though when
the situation DOES apply to your repository.

Most of the time that people ask for a 'faster tag/branch' is because
they are not using the new commit id's and user defined change sets but
are using tags and branches to try and replicate these features.

A final case is resolved with EVSCM, where the repository size and
number of users require a different approach - basically EVSCM has an
'instant tag'.

I've no idea why the tt detail screens are showing the 'fixed in' field
as blank - I've never noticed that before...

Regards,

Arthur