[cvsnt] Log command is erroring out

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Sun Jun 8 22:59:43 BST 2008

Miguel,

> I think it hit the email 8 KB size limit .

You can send attachments to support at march-hare.com if you really must,
but the informaiton I asked for would not require more than 8KB to
answer.  If you want traces to be of any use to you (you read traces,
not us, just send the 'relavent' bits to the newsgroup) then you need to
enable 'clients are allowed to trace server' in the cvsnt server control
panel.

> - Type of disk: NFS. CVSNT is running on
> Windows in VM and it is using the "C:\"
> drive space allocation.

Do you mean NTFS or NFS please clarify?

> - CVSNT server version:        2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2382
> - CVSNT client version(s):
>        a) WinCVS 2.0.2.4 Build 4x
>        b) TortoiseCVS 1.829 using CVSNT 2.5.03(Scorpio) Build 2260;

TCVS and WinCVS are not CVSNT clients, they both use CVSNT to do the
work - please ensure that your graphical tools are correctly configured
to use a recent CVSNT client.

According to the 'client cvsdiag' you sent it looks like you have CVSNT
2.0.51 installed on the client (which is the WinCVS default).  Please
delete it ASAP.

>  - Protocol:
> pserver/ssh depending on
> clients a), b) or c), all produce
> the same error

Using SSH to a CVSNT server on windows is a security risk and is not
supported.  Since a/b/c are all CVSNT windows client then you can use
the same connection method for all of them.  Use a recommended protocol
instead.
http://march-hare.com/cvspro/security.htm

According to the cvsdiag you send through of the server you have pserver
protocol disabled on the server so I do not see how you could be using
it:

:pserver: installed: No
:sserver: installed: No
:gserver: installed: No
:server: installed: No
:ssh: installed: No
:sspi: installed: No
:ext: installed: No

It's actually rather odd that ALL protocols are showing as disabled -
either you have disabled them all in the server control panel or
something is wrong with your installation (cvsdiag cannot load the
protocols).  Try this command on the server:

cvs info

> - Description of the problem: The
> file has up to 486 revisions,
> no branches, is loaded as a binary file
.
.
.
>  - No keyboard expansion options
> used

Just tell me what the expansion options are- do a 'cvs status
filename.ext' and it will tell you the options are either -kb or -kB.

> . Current size of the ,v file is 662.7 MB.
> We can keep performing 'commit' and 'update'
> operations and even the log command with
> the -h option to print only headers, but
> not the normal 'log 'command, it yields
>
>                 cvs [server aborted]:
> unrecognized operation '\x0' in /Path/sample.bin,v

I'll wait for the answers to these questions before speculating on the
cause.

Here are some previous posts on the issue: