[cvsnt] cvs.exe add: Server codepage ANSI_X3.4-1968 does not support all characters sent by client

Albert Berenguel abcworld22 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 10:24:34 BST 2008

Hello,

I have installed CVSNT on my server. I am having errors to make checkouts
and commits from the client (using Tortoise in Windows) to the server due to
the filename characters.

Test 1-> (Inside Server) I can create all the files I want and there is no
problem here. I can make the following:

   1. mkdir téèst
   2. cd téèst
   3. echo "gúïò" > fílenàmë.txt
   4. cvs import -n -m "Character Test" fílenàmë.txt
   5. cd ..
   6. cvc co téèst

Everything works fine.

Client Side (Tortoise Windows)
If I upgrade the list of the repository, I can see the folder téèst as "tst"
the ANSII characters has lost, and then I can not make a checkout due this
folder doesn't exist on the server.

Test 2 -> If instead of saving in the server téèst, I save in the repository
"téèst" as "test", I will be able to checkout the folder, but then I will
have problems with the filenames downloaded, cause these error appear:

   - cvs.exe checkout: Characters from server lost in translation

The filename downloaded will have the name "flenm.txt", that is wrong but
the content is fine.

Test 3 -> Add a filename from Tortoise to the cvsnt server like "Tést.txt".
The following error will appear:

   - cvs.exe add: Server codepage ANSI_X3.4-1968 does not support all
   characters sent by client.
   cvs.exe add: Characters from server lost in translation
   cvsnt server: nothing known about Tst.txt

About the configuration:
cvs -v
"Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2383
(client/server)

locale -a
es_ES
es_ES at euro
es_ES.iso88591
es_ES.iso8859152euro
POSIX
spanish

I've made a wide search, but I can not find an answer to these problem. I've
founded the same question in the thread
http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2005-August/020545.html but without
answer. And in another similar threads I don't have a clear idea of what to
do. I have changed too all the possible spanish configurations with
dpkg-reconfigure locales, but not working.

Thanks for your help.