[cvsnt] Log command is erroring out (unrecognized operation '\x0')

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Wed Jun 11 01:07:20 BST 2008

Miguel,

> cvs commit -f -m "In progress" -- Sample.bin
> Checking in Sample.bin;
> /local/cvsroot/Old Path/Sample.bin,v  <--  Sample.bin
> new revision: 1.450; previous revision: 1.449
> cvs [server aborted]: Could not map memory to RCS archive
> /local/cvsroot
> /Old Path/Sample.bin,v
> : Cannot allocate memory
> **** CVS exited normally with code 1 *****
>
> This was using WinCVS with the CVSNT 2.0.51d server version at my PC.
> The errors stopped happening, but unfortunately I never knew
> what was the
> solution.

Maybe.

> > Ie: have you only just noticed that this started occurring or has it
> > only just started occurring?
> I only noticed it started ocurring. I usually check revisions
> using the
> web interface more often than using the log
> command; both always used to work until a few days ago.

As urgently as possible please obtain a copy of the RCS ,v file from a
backup prior to the problem occurring.  Backup the 'damaged' file and
replace the 'damaged' file with the 'good backup' and try the log again.
If this works please send a copy of the 'damaged rcs' file, the 'good
backup rcs' file and the latest .bin file from a sandbox to
support at march-hare.com for diagnosis -we need all three files.

> > The best way to find this is by looking in the audit,
> > though 'cvs history' may tell you a little information if you do not
> > have audit installed/enabled/configured.
> Unfortunately, the history command is not enabled in the CVSNT server:

Instructions for audit:
http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/CVSNTAuditing.html

History is deprecated now, but the docs are here:
http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/html/history.html
and
http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/html/history-database.html

Regards,