[cvsnt] Tag History

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Jun 19 07:51:15 BST 2008

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 08:49:51 -0700 (PDT), Raj Simha
<cvs_admn at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Configure CVS mailer it will send mail while creating branch/tag ..etc
>>This is the only way to track.

Not quite. This is one way to track changes, but the Audit method is
more secure since it is a built-in part of the cvsnt server.

>May I know exactly how can I do this (Configuring CVS mailer)?
>and even this will let you know ONLY who has created the TAG,  right?
>Will this inform me who has moved the TAG to another version or Who
>has applied THE already existing TAG to a particular file say "foo.java"

1. The CVSMailer program and instructions can be found here:
   http://web.telia.com/~u86216121/cvsmailer/CVSMailer.html

2. CVSMailer if configured correctly will send email on each tag
operation where you can see who did the tagging, what files were
affected and which tag was used. But it relies on the mail server to
get sent so there is a chance of not getting the odd email.
The timestamp of the email gives you the time the operation was done.

3. The best way to keep track of the changes in the repository
including the tagging operations is to use CVSNT Audit. I wrote an
instruction page about it a while ago that you can find here:
http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/CVSNTAuditing.html

Notice that with Auditing installed you are guaranteed to capture all
cvs operations in the database.

There is no GUI front-end to the Audit database, though, so you have
to write your own program for this.
Or run a query manually if you only want to find a particular piece of
data.

Of course all of the above methods will not help you for already
existing data, only for stuff that happens after you install the
mailer or auditing.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)